Monday, February 8, 2016

Week #6 -- a new month

Summary for week ending Sunday, February 7, 2016:

Number of workouts: 8
Total miles run: 44.60
Average miles per run: 5.58

Miles in February: 44.60
Miles in 2016: 229.02

Amid the general mileage (about half on the treadmill, half outside), I had two quality workouts involving speed or specific effort. The second, on Sunday, had 20 min of T effort which I ran at ~7:25. It felt quite comfortable and I think I may be able to push that effort a little faster next time. I did notice, in the 20 min of easy running beforehand, that occasionally running easy starts to feel worse than running harder, and it's simple to spiral into a false sense that I'm having a tough time even though I'm supposed to be running easy. Best cure for that is the T interval, which came along at just the right time to break the spell.

In addition to the quality workouts, I got to run on the trails on Saturday which went better than I expected it would after a week of melting snow and significant rain, too; it had not been above freezing for very long when I went out, and what would have been very sloppy mud was still mostly frozen. I'm not going to bother going through all my records to check, but Saturday may have been the slowest I've ever run over there (certainly right up there if not), but that was exactly my goal: I needed an easy day to be very easy. My legs were still feeling the hard intervals from Thursday and the jog did its duty, as my legs felt refreshed for the T workout on Sunday.

Mileage was about the same as last week, but with an increase in intensity. That's a good way to do it.

No comments: