Saturday, April 2, 2016

Half-marathon eve


My first race of 2016 is in 12 hours. I picked up my bib today and was surprised that it was, again, such a low number (last year I was 22). In many of the races I've run, the lower the number the higher you're seeded (and faster you're expected to run) but I can't imagine that's the case here. Until I line up tomorrow morning, maybe I will let myself fantasize that I am elite and that's why I got #15. (How I am sure bib numbers aren't any reflection on how fast they expect you to be: Philadelphia meteorologist and excellent runner Cecily Tynan is registered and is bib #11 -- she will kick my butt! There is no way I'm only 4 bib numbers slower than she is!)

It's tough to judge where I am for this race tomorrow. I ran pretty easy all week to "taper" and recuperate after a couple weeks of feeling ugh, and on my Saturday hour today my legs felt fresh and good -- so at least I am not too worried about them from that front. Where have my quality workouts gotten me to this point? is the real question. I always aim to run under 1:40 in a half-marathon (that being the upper limit of acceptable for me, as far as I'm concerned) and I think I should be able to, but -- the weather is not supposed to be very good: chilly (will it even be 40 at race time?) and super windy. I am pretty annoyed at the forecast because the whole purpose of running this race is to test my present fitness. What if I end up running 1:43 -- how will I know if that's because I'm only in 1:43 shape or maybe I am in 1:37 shape but the atrocious wind pushed me back? I may not be able to make any sense out of my time. To be honest, however, this is probably only going to really bother me if I run over 1:40. If I run anything under 1:40, I'm probably going to be satisfied enough; I just want to be able to put my finish time into proper perspective without having to make excuses/account for anything out of my control, like ridiculous wind.

This race is a week later than it usually happens, but last week was Easter so I suppose that's why it was moved. I'm annoyed because last Sunday, the weather was fine. 50s and for once, not windy.

Ok, think positive. There are still 12 hours to go. Maybe this forecast

*WINDS... WEST TO NORTHWEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

* TIMING... HIGHEST GUSTS AND GREATEST POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS WILL PROBABLY BE FROM ABOUT 4 AM AND 9 AM SUNDAY.

won't actually happen. (After all, the race isn't until 9:30 a.m. Ha ha!)

(GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH. IT REALLY SAYS THAT.)

No comments: