Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Week #16: keep going

Summary for week ending Sunday, April 17, 2016:

Number of workouts: 6
Total miles run: 51.48
Average miles per run: 8.58

Miles in April: 127.11
Miles in 2016: 721.53

Mixed running on trails and paved paths. Managed not to fall again on the trails (though had a close call on Friday), leg though scraped up did not bruise as badly as when I fell in February so is not as uncomfortable. Weather very much improved over the week, warming to the 60s and 70s. This did bring out a lot more people to have to run around but I'm feeling magnanimous so won't kvetch (too much) about them walking three across, forcing me to step off into grass. (How can even two people manage to take up the entire width of the path?!) Satisfying tempo workout on Thursday (2 mi E + 3(10 min T) + 2 mi E where my legs felt better with each T segment -- the new normal seems to be that it takes me a few miles to really feel good and in the groove. The T didn't feel quite as free as on Sunday but not a reach to keep appropriate effort. Very glad I decided not to do the trail race on Saturday as that Thursday workout left my legs tired and Saturday morning's easy run was a drag.

Long run on Sunday ended up being 17 instead of 19 with 12 at MP rather than 15. Discovered a new place for flat long running: the Michael Castle Trail along the C&D Canal. It was very sunny and warmish -- in the 60s. Starting at Biddle Point, I ran easy east toward Delaware City until the trail ends (for now -- it's clear they are working on extending it all the way to Delaware City), about 1.8 miles, then turned back and picked up pace while running west past my starting point toward the US13 / DE1 bridges. I thought I'd run that direction for 2 miles and then turn back, stop at the car for water and a gel. That would be around 7 miles, I thought, just about when I like to take my first gel of a long run. It turned out to be too long; I should have stopped for water when I was on my way past the car around 3.5 miles. I had considered it, but didn't want to take a break after having only done about a mile or so at pace, just getting started, preferring to get a little more at pace in before stopping. MP had started out feeling pretty comfortable but by the time I got to the DE1 bridge, it was starting to feel more work-y and I was thirsty. The trail is totally open to the sky, with no cover whatsoever -- at least on the 4-5 mile stretch of it I was on -- except for those brief moments passing under the bridges, which are negligible -- and that was great for the Garmin and being more accurate with apparent pace, but it was not great for physiology. The sun was very warm and took a tough toll, one that I have not experienced yet this year. Because I had never run here before, I was not familiar with the landmarks, so even though it was out-and-back, I did not really have a good sense of how much I still had to run until I made it to the car. It wasn't very enjoyable, but when I saw the beat-up looking dock next to the trailhead, I was elated.

It's so very hard not to guzzle water when you're at such a point. I sucked down a gel and washed it with a few more swallows of water, managing to restrain myself. It felt like enough, and then I started running east again. It was not long before I felt thirsty once more.

The damage had been done. If I had stopped for water at 3.5 mi, it might have mitigated the effects of the sun and heat early, and I might have gotten another couple solid miles at MP in. As it was, it was all I could do to get in 11, and I barely count the 12th because I was fading fast. More liquids, another gel, and I even carried a water bottle with me for the last 3-4 "easy" miles. (Very uncomfortable, very hard not to hammer the whole bottle at once.) Given how awful I felt, I was satisfied enough with what I ended up having done. I had started to feel a little like the way I did in Boston 2014, when I had to drop out: stomach feeling a little queasy, never getting better and even a little worse even after drinking. In the 2014 race, I quit at mile 18; Sunday, I quit at 17. More lessons learned (the hard way, unfortunately): water is more important than getting in time at pace. If I could drink on the fly in training the way I can in a race, it would be easier, but unfortunately, unless B rides a bike right along with me (which he has done a couple times in the past), I'm stuck having to take short breaks. (I won't wear one of those fuel belts with bottles.) Funny how every year, I run in sun and warmth, but the first times of the season often catch me off guard and I don't do it right. A day with weather like Sunday's is deceptive; just standing around, it was pleasant, a nice breeze, even maybe a slight bit cool, but running with no shade was down right hot. 60s and 70s are extremely lovely, but too warm to be "great" for running at elevated efforts over long distances.

07:44.8, 07:42.4, 07:45.6, 07:42.6, 07:42.1, 07:45.5, 07:48.5, 07:45.5, 07:40.4, 07:41.1, 07:49.2, 08:00.7

The trail along the canal is great though -- absolutely sea level with only a little rippling that you barely notice (except when you're exhausted -- somehow even the smallest ups and downs are hard then). There were a lot of people out on bikes enjoying the pretty day, but no one interfered with my running at all, and I only saw two other runners; a handful of walkers, but the majority of users were on bikes. Early in the run, a ship turned into the canal under the DE9 bridge and cruised along parallel to the path. It was the Demeter Leader, and, according to Google, is a vehicles carrier from Panama; myshiptracking.com indicates it docked at Baltimore at 21:37 on Sunday. It made almost no sound as it passed by, pretty much only the whush of the water in its wake. It was amazing that such a gigantic beast of a ship could make less noise going by than a car. It was also a little eerie because there was no sign of people on the ship, so it was just a silent, almost alien-seeming long and huge blue and white box moving by. Other than that, only speedboats and other personal watercraft whizzed by occasionally. Mostly it was quiet but for the sounds of birdlife. Except for feeling pretty cruddy as I went on, I enjoyed it there. It's another place for pace work to keep in my pocket. Closer than the Schuylkill trail and better, actually, because of the openness.


Upcoming week: days of easy mileage and then Saturday morning is the Tommy 10-miler in Lewes. Longest long run on Sunday.

No comments: